How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on a month to month verbal agreement, and I

Customer Question

I am currently on a month to month verbal agreement, and I am moving out October 1st, but she is making life awful for the past few months, screaming on the phone til all hours at night and the Crack of dawn, she knows when I moved in i am on SSDI and have certain restrictions, yelling is one, and i am alloted to get any money back
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Mass
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, but I think I deserve at least half the months rent back, she even took off my bedroom door cuz she said I closed too hard, i am quiet and stick to myself, and she always calls me crazy cuz i have bipolar and anxiety issues
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it worth pursuing any money back? I am leaving in a week but shes made it a living hell
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately, this kind of conduct is almost always dealt with in the context of resolving problems going forward in a lease (so if you were not moving out, you can sue for "breach of the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment").

However, this breach does not give you a right to compensation for rent that you have already paid.

Does this landlord own an apartment complex or multiple rentals, or are you renting a room in her home, or some similar arrangement? (If she owns multiple properties, you can file a complaint with the City or County Dept. of Health, as well as filing a complaint here: