How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently took my car to the Oil depot(8-29-16) to install

Customer Question

I recently took my car to the Oil depot(8-29-16) to install a new motor. After motor was installed the car is still not drivable because they say it
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: needs to be reprogrammed. The computer in my car is not accepting the
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: motor. They still want me to pay a fee $800.00 plus and tow my car elsewhere. They say their job is done.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have paid them for a service and they have negligently provided that service in that the car still does not work, then they are liable to you for the damage their negligent repairs caused. Generally, replacement of a motor includes doing everything to make the car run and failure of them to do so would be breach of the agreement and negligent repairs. So, if they are refusing and trying to charge you more money, you need to go to get the car towed and then file a complaint first with your state attorney general consumer protection unit and if the AG cannot resolve this issue, you can sue the company in small claims court for damages and their negligent repairs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no monies have been paid as of yet. The agreement was to pay upon completion of service. I went by today and they are supposed to have my receipt ready in the morning. They are telling me now I can not use my credit card or check. I must pay with cash only. I have been using this company for over 5 years and always used my credit card.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
That is because they know you are going to dispute the service and sue them for negligent repairs and if you use a credit card you can file a complaint with the credit card company. You need to video you offering to pay with credit card and let them refuse and video you paying the cash and tell them you are paying them in cash under protest reserving your rights and save that video on your phone. Get your car back, then sue them for negligence.