How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently went through a divorce. I was ordered to pay

Customer Question

I recently went through a divorce . I was ordered to pay spousal support to my wife of approximately $1000 a month for 10 1/2 years . While I told the complete truth my wife left out a lot of details . I believe she knew about her promotion and kept that secret also she claims she needed money for an apartment but moved in with my best friend . She was recently promoted to store manager with a significant pay raise . I know for a fact in court when they asked her where she lived that she lied .she was living with John one of my best friends . She has a relationship with him . Now I'm stuck paying for her and the man she is living with... This woman has ruined my life ... She attracted me at my house in Michigan and cops threw me in jail... I was charged for domestic ... I guess the man is always guilty, but truth be told she kicked an bit and punched me in drunken I was restrained from my house in Michigan , where she cheated on me and got pregnant... I found her family planning appointment papers and positive result for test... She got pregnant and aborted and never said anything to me till I asked her.... I took deferred prosecution agreement to something I never did ... Judge in Michigan proclaimed I punched her in the face... I never did... I would have never taken that if I knew that was going to be on my you see today I found a woman who is good and kind .. She lives in Canada where I have visited 5 times till border asked me about domestic charge. Now I can't even go to see her ... I have become terribly depressed. This evil woman thinks it's a game to try to screw her loving husband of 27 years ... I have become a nonbeliever in our justice system ...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through and went through. Can you please share with me what your question is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe I owe her anything , she knew she was getting a promotion at work and also lied about the fact she moved in with another man .. Who she is involved with. She lied on her monthly expenses . Now I pay her to live and have a relationship with another man ... Can I get my support lowered or stopped
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, you can. A motion can be filed to modify the alimony. The court will normally only change spousal support when there are new facts for the court to consider or when one spouse’s circumstances have changed. Based upon what you shared above, you can argue she lied under oath and failed to disclose her promotion and raise, along with the fact that she was going to live with someone else, who would contribute and pay for her housing. Moreover, if your finances have changed, through no fault of your own, you can ask for the modification to be based off of that as well.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.