How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33485
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have to enter an assisted living facility 10/01/16. I have

Customer Question

I have to enter an assisted living facility 10/01/16. I have to give up my leased car and
Stop driving. I will be 77 years old. Is there still a law in New Yok State that stops creditors
From collecting debts from seniors on fixed incomes. I have no other debts.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

There is no specific law preventing collection of a debt from a senior on fixed income in NY, or any other state. That said, social security retirement is exempt from garnishment. So, if you have no other income and no major assets then it could be you are "judgment proof". That means that even if a creditor gets a judgment there is no way to collect.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Did you have further questions?