How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102505
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to marry someone in Germany who is not a US

Customer Question

I am planning to marry someone in Germany who is not a US citizen. Where do I begin ? What paper work do I need?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.


The marriage is performed at the Standesamt, which can be loosely translated as the registry/clerk's office. It is a civil ceremony and that is the ceremony that is binding. Any religious ceremony (i.e. wedding) is optional and does not affect the matter.

You will need:

-a birth certificate

-your US passport and documentation of your stay in Germany

-the Ehefähigkeitszeugnis, which is a "certificate of no impediment" that you have nothing hindering your ability to marry, such as a prior marriage that is still ongoing. US does not issue such certificates, but the US consulate can help issue a letter stating that no such certificate exists in USA, and that normally is enough.

-f you were married before, you need proof that all previous marriages were dissolved.

Marriage in Germany is a very quick affair, done civilly, before the registrar. Expect it to be over in under 30 minutes. You would need to call the local Standesamt ahead of time to make an appointment.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.