How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wondering if someone was in my private property and the

Customer Question

Wondering if someone was in my private property and the video recorded me without my consent is that legal?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No but the gent using video to spread misinformation maliciously and edited the video to make it work against me but if the whole of the video was used it would make her look bad
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am thinking about suing for defamation.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

No, that would not be deemed legal under California law. I would file an injunction in court ordering him to destroy the footage and cease maliciously slandering you in public.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has already slandered me. Roofers spreading and he sent the video to multiple sources who then provided it to me.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

Have you suffered any actual damages as a result? That is a key element to a defamation/slander claim. Just emotional damages is not enough.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The people he is giving it to are my clients and one of them stopped calling to give me work for a while now.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

That meets the damages element. Yes, a lawsuit is a strong approach to take but in the interim I would get an injunction so that he stops then sue for the damage he has already done.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated.