Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My first name is misspelled on my birth certificate.

Customer Question
My first name is *****...
My first name is ***** ***** my birth certificate. Consequently my driver's license, car registration, and insurance all show the misspelled first name. I was told by the city government, I would have to go to Probate Court to change the spelling. I have asthma, and find it challenging to spend too much time in public places. I would like to find a local lawyer to help me. I don't know which area of law. Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A general civil litigation or even a family law attorney can provide this service to you. It really is a simple process of you filing a petition for name change and providing the court the correct spelling you want and ask them to issue the name change order and order to correct birth certificate. Typically a local attorney will charge about $500-$800 for doing this for you. However, here is the application for name change and you can do it yourself as it is not really a long process: http://www.ctprobate.gov/Forms/PC-901.pdf
However, if you want a local attorney in your town, you can get one from the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney