How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116705
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My first name is misspelled on my birth certificate.

Customer Question

My first name is ***** ***** my birth certificate. Consequently my driver's license, car registration, and insurance all show the misspelled first name. I was told by the city government, I would have to go to Probate Court to change the spelling. I have asthma, and find it challenging to spend too much time in public places. I would like to find a local lawyer to help me. I don't know which area of law. Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A general civil litigation or even a family law attorney can provide this service to you. It really is a simple process of you filing a petition for name change and providing the court the correct spelling you want and ask them to issue the name change order and order to correct birth certificate. Typically a local attorney will charge about $500-$800 for doing this for you. However, here is the application for name change and you can do it yourself as it is not really a long process:
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
However, if you want a local attorney in your town, you can get one from the same sites used by other attorneys, or