Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have 2 fld answer summons, NY, I am not sure. I have my

Customer Question
Hi i have 2 fld...
Hi i have 2 fld answer summons
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure. I have my driving abstract
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i also have a fld pay driver assess
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am not sure I understand your situation. I do not know what "2 fld" means. Do you mean "2 days," as in "I have two days to answer a summons?"

I am not sure how a "driving abstract" relates here - I assume you mean this is a copy of your driving record from the state (maybe I am wrong), but do not know how this fits into the situation.

Can you please clarify? Thank you.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have to failed to answer summons in NY. these are keeping my drivers licence revoked. I need to better understand my situation and what i need to do to get this fixed. and what you think would be easiest (ie less time and less fines)
Thank you. When you say summons in NY, was this a civil suit, or, a criminal charge/ticket?
And what was it FOR, specifically?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was a ticket and it was for driving with lapsed insurance on 5/17/2010. and failure to pay driver assessment 12/04/2009 for a driving with .08% alcohol 9/17/2008. the driving with .08% was complied. I guess I didn't pay a fine for it and it got suspended. then i drove with a suspended license and lapsed insurance. how should i proceed to get this issue taken care of
Thank you.
Last question - you never went to Court in NY for this, then? Simply skipped it, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i didnt know the exact date.but i knew that i had to appear on some date, but intentionally missed it for what ever reason. i cannot remember why i skipped it. but i havent driven since. i dont plan on driving anymore but i would like to be able to if need be.
Thank you. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I am afraid that this matter is not going to be simple.
1) By not showing up in NY or simply paying the ticket, the court issued a warrant out for your arrest.
2) The State of NY eventually suspended your license because of this.
3) NY is part of the Driver License Compact. If one member state suspends a license, the others will too until the matter is taken care of with that one member state.
4) Someone in your situation has to (1) quash the warrants in NY, (2) have new court date(s) set for the charges, and (3) appear to answer to them, and (4) resolve them. Only then would the suspension be lifted, once all is cleared up and assuming no punishment includes continued suspension. Of course, using counsel for this is BEST.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law