How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband got caught with drugs during a traffic stop. The

Customer Question

My husband got caught with drugs during a traffic stop. The police later came to our house and seized 3 vehicles. One is registered to his son and the other is registered to a friend. Is this legal and can we get those vehicles back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under asset forfeiture rules, the police can seize any vehicles or property they have reason to believe were obtained with funds from illegal activities. In order to recover the vehicles, you need an attorney to represent your son and friend and they need to file a motion in court objecting to the seizure and asking for the return of the vehicles and will have to present proof to the court that his son and friend own the cars and purchased the cars. Upon proof that the cars were purchased by the son and friend and not with funds from illegal activities the court will order the cars released.