Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My landlord gave me permission to have my girlfriend spend

Customer Question
the night on weekends and...
my landlord gave me permission to have my girlfriend spend the night on weekends and now she is saying i cant have anybody wait at my house for me to get off work! she has already yelled at my girlfriend on a Saturday which seems unprofessional!! she should be talking to me and not yelling at my girlfriend!!! what are the laws on having my girlfriend stay the night? and she is texting me and threatening to have me kicked out!!!
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not on my side! Im not sure what she has said
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she wont give me a receipt when i pay rent!
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: i feel like she is harassing me and my family!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2016
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While a landlord may build into a lease agreement a limitation of overnight guests---such as a limit that guests are limited to staying a total of no more than 2 weeks a year---if there is no limitation stated in your lease agreement, then the landlord cannot enforce such a limitation.

As for you being allowed to have someone come into your home when you are not there---such as your girlfriend waiting for you to get home from work---that cannot be prohibited. Guests, accompanied by you or otherwise----are expected and the landlord cannot arbitrarily tell you that she can't be in your house when you are not there.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney