How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27594
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please. I have an uncle who has a house and he told me that

Customer Question

please. I have an uncle who has a house and he told me that he would give it to me if I wanted it. Just wondering what is the legal part of it.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington,DC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no Nothing has been done.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has a son and a step daughter and his wife is deceased.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. He has two options, assuming you want to take it and he still wants to give it to you. The first, is to execute a quit claim deed. He can transfer his legal right and interest in the home to you at this time and make you the owner. The second, if he wants to keep it while alive, is to create a will and devise the home to you upon his passing, so it does not pass to his son. It really just matters as to why he wants to give it to you and how he wants and intends to use it at this time.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!