How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33416
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbor's brother recently moved in with them after he

Customer Question

Hi there,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My neighbor's brother recently moved in with them after he had a domestic dispute with his girlfriend. She is bipolor, etc. and claimed that he hit her, but he did not. They arrested him anyway based on her accusations. He hasn't been dealing with the issue of his pending hearing this week and I've been trying to help him get it together; however, he doesn't know where to begin. I have some questions I would love answered if you have time.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Atlanta
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. Police report/arrest.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

What questions do you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have several, thanks. My neighbor is due in for court on Friday for domestic violence charge. His (ex)girlfriend is bipolor and an alcoholic and had him arrested. He did not touch her. This was about a month ago and he's been too depressed to look for an attorney (even though he paid for her DUI lawyer). So here are my questions so I can pass them on. Ready? 1) He has a great job, but works for major companies where background checks are required. How will this charge effect him (case dismissed versus continuation)? 2) What kind of lawyer would he need to fight case (level of experience/cost)? 3) Does he need to have character witnesses and/or proof of her instability? 4) What do they expect at arraignment hearing and is it possible to END it that day if she does not file charges (which she is not)? (i.e., Continuance) 5) Though he did not harm her, he was also drinking at the time of the incident. How will this effect his case? 6)
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

1) It's rare that a case is dismissed so you can't count on it at all. The best he can hope for is something that lets him away without a conviction, such as a deferred adjudication. HOwever, he can always potentially get a not guilty if he hires a good lawyer and goes to trial. HOwever, a conviction can play a huge part in getting turned down for a job.

2) He wants a lawyer that does both criminal law and family law. He can find one in that area at As to cost, $5000 on the low end, going up considerably higher depending on how good they are and what all is required.

3) Yes, although character witnesses play very little part.

4) At the arraignment hearing they will just advise him of the charges and he should plead not guilty. Then they set a tentative date for trial which is usually six months or more away. It's not at all likely to end that day. If he hires a lawyer quickly then he may not even have to show up for arraignment, the lawyer will waive the arraignment since it really isn't a major part of the case.

5) No way to know. All facts matter and it depends on how they play out.