Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can someone take a picture of your home without permission

Customer Question
Hello JA: Hello. How can we...
Hello
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: Can someone take a picture of your home without permission and post that picture online?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet I did not know the legal standing on this.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes.I have very nice people living on one side of us and not so nice on the other side for about the last 18 month's. The not so nice people went on facebook and said one of their dogs had killed a chicken that belongs to the nice people with not nice things said about them. For 18 months I have stayed quiet with all there verbal abuses with there young child, crazy eractic behavior in the middle of the night which wakes me up everyone all he does his scream at his dogs, wife and child everyday and we have stayed quiet. but when I called him out on face book which I never do he became very angry and tryed to deflect it on us with our one dog. I explained she is drying from cancer and ended communication. 30 min later I am at my kitchen sink washing dishes and saw the wife take a picture of my back yard and post the pic on face book. i will be honest here, he scares the crap out of me. Also i TALKED TO THE PEOPLE THAT OWN THE CHICKENS TO TELL THEM WHAT i DID AND THEY HAD ALREADY SEEN THE POSTING AND KNEW ALL ABOUT IT. tHANK yOU
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2016
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did the person enter your property to take the picture?

.

Or did they take the picture from the public street or their private property?

.

What exactly did they say about your property?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pic was taken from their back yard.
They are renters and we are owners.
They stated that we do not take care of our dog. she has been tied up for 2 years except one time during a stome 18 months ago and we are the reason are other died f!!!!!ing died
My husband didnt have children together our 5 kids are all grown with their own familys so we had hairy kids (4) 3 have died from old age the last passing was 5 weeks ago and now we have one. Who by the way sleeps in the garage every night but they do not have the line of sight to see that.Thank You

Ok, I hate to say it, but if they didn't trespass to take a picture, and it was of the back yard, then that is considered "in public" because people have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" there. That is why the police can come over in a chopper and look in people's back yards....they are considered public.

.

So taking the photo and posting it wouldn't be a violation of the law or actionable unless they posted something that was untrue that harmed your reputation in the community. Then it could be considered libel and defamation and you could sue them for damages..

.

But stating you don't take care of your dog would be an opinion, not something that could be proven true or false... They might feel that you don't take care of the dog, you feel that you do, someone else might think that you take great care of the dog... So that type of comment is an opinion and wouldn't be defamation.

.

If they had said that you have been convicted of cruelty to animals, and you hadn't, then that would be defamation and you could sue them for damages..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

Barrister, Attorney