How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 21 and I am a member of an online dating site and a

Customer Question

I am 21 and I am a member of an online dating site and a coue of days ago a girl got my number off my profile and texted me and stated she was 18. She then initiated "sex" talk and sent me pictures then she told me she was 17 years old not 18. Her parents saw the messages and are threatening to contact the authorities. So am I held responsible even though she said she was 18 and she was the one to initiate
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. I know the age of consent in Texas is 17 but does that include pictures? I just got off the phone with her father and he says he is going to talk with mom and decide what to do
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. We never met up or had any contact. Just through text
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Are the parents threatening to contact the police unless you send them some type of payment for breaking her phone, or for counseling for her, or for some other type of damage they have incurred?