Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Are there laws regarding requirement for a gravesite markers

Customer Question
regarding burial deceased ashes such...
Are there laws regarding requirement for a gravesite markers regarding burial deceased ashes such as monuments?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/18/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this issue. Unfortunately there is no CA statute or law that applies to this specific issue.

However, the conduct of the co-trustee appears to be a violation of their fiduciary duty and you can sue them in state court for failing to perform their duties.

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

For a very comprehensive set of the laws that we do have in this state that apply to graves and markers in CA, see: https://www.wcl.american.edu/burial/ca.cfm

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney