How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7203
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had calPERS term care insurance since i was 52. i am

Customer Question

I have had calPERS long term care insurance since i was 52. i am now 70.. i am disabled with a serious neck spinal stenosis which is compressing my spinal cord..I have been using my insurance 8 hours a day for 2 years to help me as i cannot walk and have minimal use of my arms and hands. calPERS now wants to reduce my benefits to 4 hours a day instead of 8.They think i am too independent...i am trying to be independent so i need less help and it is now like shooting myself in the foot! They say I am too independent! and dont need so much care. I will still have to use all 8 hours but with their reduction of benefits I will have to pay 4 hours myself which will cause me much financial distress. I will go broke!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The insuranse I bought says unlimited lifetime benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

We would need to look at your policy to the language that permits the insurance company, if any to reduce benefits. Do you have a copy if your policy?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

If your policy does not permit the insurance company to reduce your benefits you can file a complaint online today with the California Department of Insurance at

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Where in California are you located so I can provide information and links for local legal assistance in your area at low to no cost?

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Please ignore the additional service request.

The attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time and work if the customer does not rate them positively, If you were unhappy the service it would be my pleasure to ask for a refund on your behalf. Otherwise you show up as a customer that does not rate. Attorneys tend to avoid those customers in the future. Than you for your consideration.