How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41638
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother(in Florida) is in the early stages of dementia.

Customer Question

My mother(in Florida) is in the early stages of dementia. She is becoming a burden to her neighbors and a danger to herself. I keep asking her to move in with us in Indiana. She is digging in her heels, saying she won't leave her home. Where do we go, what do we do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

You need to report this to Florida Protective Services.She is self neglecting and in danger.This is the best way to protect her.APS may have to seek guardianship or work with you to find an agreeable placement.They have resources to help in this matter and will work with you.

Call here


  1. Victim name, address or location, approximate age, race and sex;
  2. Physical, mental or behavioral indications that the person is infirm or disabled;
  3. Signs or indications of harm or injury, including a physical description if possible;
  4. Relationship of the alleged possible responsible person to the victim. If the relationship is unknown, a report will still be taken if other reporting criteria are met.


  2. TELEPHONE: 1-***-***-****

This is 24/7 you can call now and get this started.I know it is frustrating but this is all you can do at this point and see what they can do to help.Your mother may need assisted living/ nursing home here in Florida if she will nto come live with you.Either way you need APS involved in Florida where she is.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

The Florida Department of Elder Affairs is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of the elders in Florida. The Department works in conjunction with the Department of Children and Families (DCF) Adult Protective Services and the Aging Network to protect disabled adults or elderly persons from further occurrences of abuse, neglect or exploitation. Services provided may include protective supervision, placement and in-home and community-based services.

They can help here please give them a call.Thanks again and the best to you and her.