TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am wondering if we have case. My son was wrongfully

Customer Question

I am wondering if we have case. My son was wrongfully accused and was found not guilty in Jefferson County Courts in Jan of 2016. It was underage kids that made the accusation. The parents took it a step farther and were reporting more untrue issues that made the case escalate and end up going to court. Additionally USA swimming was involved and the "safe Sport" Social worker escalated much of the issue. Since January there have been more rumors spread and threats to my sons ability to ever swim again. This has greatly effected his future.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. However, I am unclear about your question. Can you provide a little background information and perhaps clarify the question? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wanting to know if we would be able to sue the families and the social worker and the coaches for defamation.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

In order to win a lawsuit for defamation, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant made false statements about him to a third party, and that his reputation was damaged as a result.

There is, however, protection against defamation lawsuits for people who report something to the police in good faith. The key there is the term good faith. If the police report was knowingly false, then there is no protection for the party making their report.

In addition, the party making a false police report may be liable for abuse of process. Abuse of process occurs when a person harasses another person by knowingly filing a false police report or otherwise lies to get somebody in trouble with the law.

You haven't provided me with nearly enough facts to say whether you have a reasonable chance of winning, however. But hopefully the information above will help you to determine how to proceed.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also,please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars(and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a statute of limitations on the time you can file after someone has done this too you.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

The statute of limitations for you to file a claim against the defendant is two years.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification, andplease remember to provide a positive rating via the stars(and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.