How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118075
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any way to fast track disability for people who

Customer Question

Is there any way to fast track disability for people who don’t recognize their mental disability and may a danger to others as in the case of licensed health professionals? Do you have any legal advice to offer me, as I may be asking the wrong questions or missing a major point —Anything at all that will help me will be much appreciated? What do I need to do legally to fix this situation?Essentials (please see word document for full scenario)
Nurse of 30+ years diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic doesn’t accept or recognize sickness.
She needs money to live, but cannot stop working underemployed jobs that send her into mental episodes because the low pay and not being able to afford her life (which has been drastically downgraded).
She previously applied for disability in 2009, but it was denied and she didn't have a lot of documentation to help support her, now that I am an adult, I can help with documentation and getting medical records but I don't know how long she can survive doing what she is currently doing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only real recourse you have is to get her involuntarily committed to a mental health facility by showing she is not able to care for her own affairs or that she is a danger to herself or others. Once that is done someone who is related will need to get a local attorney to file a petition for guardianship and get to the court to get the court to order her placed under care of a guardian. Then the guardian can get disability moved fairly quickly with proof of the mental health commitment and the court ordered guardianship.