Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was sentenced 8 do 4.. 4 years suspended to probation.. my

Customer Question
max date was June 2015....
I was sentenced 8 do 4.. 4 years suspended to probation.. my max date was June 2015.. but I am still on probation.. I just violated and they are gonna put me in prison for another year.. all my max dates say March 2017 is the max.. can they give me a full year..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/15/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You mention to "max dates" for probation - June 2015 and March 2017. That is a discrepancy. Please explain and clarify.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay 2011 I was sentenced 4 years doc time served that.. did two years on good time.. was on probation and parole and violated.. went back for another year.. got out this time and was told my probation ended June 2015.. been on probation since my release date.. in June they said I didn't get done with probation until December 2016.. my max on all convictions were until march 2017.. now they are saying I will get a 2 do 1 for my violation.. another year in prison.. can they do that
I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.
Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck.
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor opted out.
A probation violation is actually a separate offense from the crime you were convicted of and can have a separate sentence under "contempt of court." Thus, even if the original sentence max would be March 2017, the probation violation is separate and, for example, even if you violated probation in February 2017, they could sentence you beyond March 2017 on the violation of probation. So, yes, they can send you to prison beyond your end of probation date on the separate charge of probation violation I am afraid.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney