How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Worried that my identity might have been stolen. What can I

Customer Question

worried that my identity might have been stolen. What can I do to protect myself?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: does it in this case? California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: huh?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I don't think my identity has been stolen yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, long story short, I underpaid taxes with the IRS accidentally in 2015 due to a mistake in Turbo Tax. I already remedied the situation, but then I got one of this spam "this is the IRS and we're going to arrest you if you don't pay your back taxes by EOD" calls that are the new "Nigerian email scam." In any case, I was stupid enough to call the number back and talk to the scammers for a few minutes before realizing that this was unrelated to my actual issue. In any case, they know my address, my birthday and my name. I'm worried about what they can/will do. What should I do to protect myself (and how can I verify that they haven't done anything already)? Any reputable identity-theft protection services or credit report services that won't negatively impact my credit score?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you fear that your identity may have been stolen, the best thing you can do is to contact the three primary credit reporting agencies and notify them of the issue. I certainly empathize with the angst and frustration that you must be feeling after having been a possible victim of fraud. This happens to so many people and while it is good to be concerned, there are several things that can be done, even now to protect yourselves. Let me explain.

While a social security number or other personal information may have been stolen, you can prevent the use of that number for fraudulent purposes by freezing the credit of the person whose number has been fraudulently obtained. That way the credit reporting companies will not provide credit scores for new loans, credit cards etc. unless they first get your permission, so long as the freeze is in place. You will want to contact the three main reporting agencies and have the reporting frozen.

Here's how to contact the three major credit bureaus to ask about or obtain your credit report or credit score, alert creditors to a possible fraud using your name, or for any other reason:

Equifax:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374;

Experian:(###) ###-####(general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013,

TransUnion:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022;

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,