How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 40997
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom was killed in an auto accident 4 weeks ago. Bodily

Customer Question

My mom was killed in an auto accident 4 weeks ago. Bodily injury is only $50,000.00 on the drivers policy. This will not even cover the doctors bills. We were told that was the maximum we could collect.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She just passed on friday and nothing has been done yet. progressvivecalled today with the offer.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure. Both my parents were in the same car and he is still in the hospital.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

I am so sorry for your loss.You may consider a personal injury lawyer here.You would need to sue the individual and Progressive covers the first $50k.You really would need lawyer here to check for assets or you can.If the defendant has a a house, rv, jet skis boat, etc it would be collectible.In that case a suit with your facts is worth while.I would try to seek out this yourself if you can before you commit to a PI lawyer because they work contingent fee but if this person is a "turnip" with no real assets , $50k without legal fees might be the best you are able to do.

Suing this person for wrongful death if they have no assets would be fruitless no matter the harm. I would spend a few bucks here on an asset search to see if they own anything that isn't exempt as I set out above.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Good nationwide one , there may be a fee..

Also did your mother have underinsured motorist coverage that comes into play as a claim her estate can file if she had it to at least cover rest of medical bills.

I am so sorry for your loss of loved one.I appreciate the chance to help you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

You are so welcome here is lawyer referral

East Tennessee:(###) ###-####br />Middle Tennessee:(###) ###-####br />Southeast Tennessee:(###) ###-####/p>

If there are assets here you can sue them.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

PI lawyers should consult with you locally for free.