How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a student in college and I believe my school is giving

Customer Question

I am a student in college and I believe my school is giving me hard time registering for classes this year because they do not want to take responsibility for a mistake they had made. Last semester my financial aid was returned because they claimed I did not submit sufficient enough documentation on my my application in regards ***** ***** parents. My mother is deceased and my father has not been in my life since he lost custody of to my aunt when I was 15. I am now 22 and I have neither of my parents involved in my life. Due to my Financial aid being returned I am now stuck with a $10,000 bill from the previous semester. I spoke with the director of student accounts and he claimed he would take care of it as long I got the proper documentation to show that neither parents are supporters of me. He requested that I write a letter, a family member write a letter , and that I get a letter from a lawyer, police officer, or priest stating my situation as far as my parents go. I tried to show him a copy of my lease at my, my tax form showing that I filed taxes single, a copy of my health insurance, and I even got a letter from my own source on letter head but none of it sufficed and they refused any of it. I have been in the school for 2 years and I submitted my mothers death certificate and a letter from my financial adviser stating that my father is somewhere in the wind but this year they refused it. I asked them if I could use any other alternative and they insisted that the committee rules are solid.I even called FASFA to see if they could do something but they said the school committee has to prove the documentation that i am intact independent or do an override saying that I am. I honestly believe that the adviser I had prior (who no longer works there) forgot to submit my paperwork which allowed my financial aid to be updated. He informed me that everything was okay at the time I submitted the documents. Since the information was never cleared my financial aid was denied and returned. I think they know that they if they approve the documents I am submitting now they have to take responsibility for not approving me or doing the override for the previous year because it is the same documentation that I submitted the year prior. Please help I just want to get back in school.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?