Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was sent a summons in We state for a theft three charge

Customer Question
for a theft so was...
I was sent a summons in We state for a theft three charge for a theft so was never caught do
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: C We.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Washington. I sing I don't know
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a court date sent to me. I don't even know if I was in the store on the day they are I guess saying I was. I don't know what they are saying I took. It was dated July 21, 2016. This is really weird
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/14/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you got a summons.

What are your specific questions for a lawyer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. How can I randomly get a summons and a charge for theft in general especially a month plus later, also I have frequently shopped in the store I'm being accused of stealing allegedly at least 4 times since the day of question. It is a small store with only a couple people there working. I would think they would ask me to not shop in there store if I'm stealing normally I'd think. I don't believe I was even in the store on that day. I was at the great wolf lodge the night prior till 11 pm with a***** Regardless if someone is saying they are me how do I prove other wise also.? I spend thousands of dollars with the store and I'm surprised that out of the blue im getting this messed up charge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also don't there need to be probable cause. Where can I pull up the police report or court report which was made possible to have me summons. ?

If you got a summons, that means there was probable cause. It's possible that they got you confused with someone else with the same name, though, or that someone else gave your name. The first step is to go to the court date. In court, the judge will explain what you're accused of doing, and you'll be able to enter a plea of not guilty. If it is a case of mistaken identity, it might become clear at that point. If it's not, you can ask for copies of all the evidence against you.

They don't have to ban you from the store when you come back, if they'd prefer to avoid a confrontation, but I agree that it's weird for them to let you shop there if they think you're shoplifting.

Theft in the third degree is a gross misdemeanor. What that means is, when you go to court, you can ask the judge to appoint a lawyer for you at no charge if you cannot afford one. Your lawyer can work to get the charges dropped since you were nowhere near the store on the date in question.

Also, once the charges are dismissed, you'll be able to seek to have the whole thing deleted from your record.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney