How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 66 year old male resident of NY State with no

Customer Question

I am a 66 year old male resident of NY State with no criminal record. I have been on Ativan for over 10 years originally prescribed by my primary care Doctor as treatment for
insomnia. That Doctor has retired and I went to another Doctor as primary but made him aware that I was an recovering 6 months...This new Doctor increased my Ativan prescription to 2.5 tablets in 24 hours ostensibly to help battle alcoholism...In June of this year my Ativan was stolen while on a fishing trip to state of Mass. I was able to obtain a police report which identified a suspect. My new Doctor refused to replace the Ativan claiming that he was not allowed to but was evasive to my questions of who or what prevented him from doing so. After 3 nights of NO sleep (none) and severe side effects from the abrupt stopping of Ativan I called his office and breaking down from the anxiety I begged him and he relented and gave enough to reach my next scheduled refill. I suffered needlessly for 4 days only to find that he apparently could replace the stolen drugs. I have been unable to find the relevant regulations on my own. I have not contacted a lawyer or filed a complaint yet. I want answers- What should I do ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, because each medical doctor has his/her professional discretion when it come to prescribing any drugs or prescribing replacement drugs, I am afraid that generally there would not be any legal recourse under similar circumstances.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.