How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29823
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son that their mother has put on ADHD medication

Customer Question

I have a son that their mother has put on ADHD medication and did not tell me about. I have legal joint custody. Is this illegal?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. We want to make sure it is worth our time before we do so.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Does the court order specifically give either of you the ability to make medical decisions without the other parent? Does it require you to discuss non-emergency medical issues?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't believe that we have anything in our court agreement about medical.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Read through it. If it doesn't specifically require her to consult with you, then she may not have violated the order. But you could file a motion asking the judge to modify the order to clarify that each parent needs to consult the other before seeking medical treatment for non-emergencies (or non-urgent situations). That way, if she does something like this again, then she'd be in violation of the court order and a judge could penalize her.

But read the order first to see if there's language you can use to show that she violated it.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?