How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well... I believe that I was unlawfully terminated from my

Customer Question

well . . .
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I believe that I was unlawfully terminated from my federal position because I mobilized for a deployment with the Army Reserve. The Department of Labor determined that there was no USERRA violation, but I don't understand how they came to that finding. what can I do at this point?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: meaning?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing that I can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I live and worked in Maryland.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Your first option is to appeal to the Administrative Review Board. See this link.

More to come.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

See this law.

More to come...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't afford it I was fired from my job.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

After the ARB issues its final decision any further proceedings are in the federal courts.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

You need to consult with a MD wrongful termination attorney and if you have a viable case, he/she may take it on a 33% to 45% contingency fee basis; depending on whether the case settles or goes to trial. See this link to get started.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is my understanding that in the Federal Service we can only sue for back wages and legal fees. Is that correct? If so, what would a lawyer get 45% of?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to confirm whether or not your suit would be limited in the manner you suggest; this would be a question best answered by a local wrongful termination attorney based on review of all the pertinent facts. However, the lawyer would typically obtain 45% of whatever amount he recovers for you by the way of damages or he would agree to apply for his legal fees independently of what he may recover for you. Much will depend on the fee agreement you sign with the lawyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Thank you so much for your wisdom.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome...

If we are done, please remember to assign a feedback rating. Thank you...