ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can i use my first letter of my first and last name for my

Customer Question

can i use my first letter of my first and last name for my co logo or co name which is DC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NOT YET
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, you can do so, as long as there's not a "likelihood of confusion" with other trademarks that are already out there.

The crux of trademark law is "likelihood of confusion". . That is, confusion that consumers will believe the products or services originated or was authorized from the trademark owner. If there is an action against someone using a mark, the court is going to look at the following factors to see if there is such a likelihood:

1. Strength of the mark
2. Proximity of the goods
3. Similarity of the marks
4. Evidence of actual confusion
5. Marketing channels used
6. Type of goods and the degree of care likely to be exercised by the purchaser
7. Defendant's intent in selecting the mark
8. Likelihood of expansion of the product lines

So, for example, if you're trying to start a comic book company or movie studio, "DC" probably wouldn't be accepted because of the current trademarks that are already dominating those industries. But if you're going into lawn maintenance, etc... and there's no likelihood of confusion with your company and a company already in existence and using a trademark, then using your initials would be okay. For example, I have initials of GM, so I could use "GM Law Firm" or something like that. While there's a very large company that uses "GM" (General Motors), the fact that I'm in an entirely different industry and there'd be no likelihood of confusion means that there would not be an infringement. Note that I couldn't go into car manufacturing (or related industries) and hope to use that (as that could lead to a likelihood of confusion).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)​

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~40 MINUTES) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to RATE my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)