How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have restitution for a federal case, I'm no longer on

Customer Question

I have restitution for a federal case, I'm no longer on supervised release, they take my income tax I have no set amount to pay monthly the US attorney has sent a writ of garnishment to my bank and probably will be sending to my employer next I owed 50,000 now owe 17,000 I guess they want my pay check now is this legal is there anything I can do
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I'm ready
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas and this is federal restitution
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know I just received from my bank a writ of garnishment telling me any money in my account was going to them
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The feds are able to intercept your tax return refunds as well as levy on your bank accounts and also garnish your paycheck for the money that is owed. While they can take all of your refund each year, they are limited to taking no more than 25% of your wages through garnishment. Unfortunately, it is legal for the government to garnish the 25% of your paycheck.

Because the feds have knowledge of any bank account that you might open (you use your social security number to open the account), I would suggest that you not keep much funds in any account in your name and try to work with cash/money orders to pay your bills or use a prepaid debit style card to handle the money you receive from employment after the garnishment. That way they can't get at your money through a bank levy.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,