Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My tenant moved out owing me back rent and damaged the APT.

Customer Question

My tenant moved out owing me back rent and damaged the APT. I don't know where she moved to but know she works for the NYC police Dept as a 911 operator. looking to sue in small claims figured it would be less red tape in NYC the max is $5000 . What are my options?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hello
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: My tenant moved out owing me back rent and damaged the APT. I don't know where she moved to but know she works for the NYC police Dept as a 911 operator. looking to sue in small claims figured it would be less red tape in NYC the max is $5000 . What are my options?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, not sure how to file without a home address
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you been able to find out the address where she works?

.

Have you suffered damages over $5K, but are willing to settle for the $5K?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know she works for the New York City Police Dept as a 911 operater
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
total loss is around 7 k but i figured small claims would be less red tape
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you can find out what actual physical location she works at, you can use that address on any summons and complaint forms and have her served by the marshal at work for the lawsuit.

.

You can have her served anywhere you can find her, but you do have to have her served personally and if the only location you can find on her is work, then that is where you have her served.

.

I would suggest contacting the local NYC Police Dept nearest you and just asking them if they could tell you where she works. If you wanted to get sneaky, you could tell them that she helped you and you wanted to send her a "thank you" card and gift basket...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i call you back when i get the actual address/
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Those phone call offers are generated by the JustAnswer website, not me personally.

.

I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The phone opinion was sent to me via a a pop up Ad , however email is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should be able to get the address tomorrow
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

I don't have any way to email customers... I am an independent contractor on the JustAnswer website so i get on the site just like you do..

.

What other questions did you have about your situation? Knowing the address where the person works doesn't really do anything for me as it is up to you to file the summons and complaint paperwork to sue them in small claims court..

.

thanks