How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left a trailer with a flat along a two lane road in NJ

Customer Question

I left a trailer with a flat along a two lane road in NJ .parked well off the right of way . the NJ statute says a vehicle is not considered abandoned for a period of 48 hours . However when i returned in about 18 hours a township cop had a recovery company on the scene attempting to remove my trailer . his excuse was that it appeared to be unregistered . I showed him the license plate that he had not looked for due ,most likely due to not wanting to get his pants dirty .along with the papers which were in a DOT "bubble ' for his inspection . They forced me to pay the tow company $ 2600 because "We can't stop now " do I have any recourse ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.
There are laws against predatory towing in NJ, which you can read about here:
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.
You can contact the department of consumer affairs for help with combating this:
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.
If you weren't given the statutory time to remove your vehicle, you should have a claim.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The towing co was called by township police to immediately remove an "unregistered vehicle " toe problem lies in the fact that it was duely registered with the plate in the factory mount which the officer didn't locate due to not wanting to wade into tall weeds . the fault lies with the officer . how can i proceed to try to recoup my $
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

The best way to combat the tow and to recover your money is to seek help from the Department of Consumer Affairs. You can file a complaint with it and seek help to resolve the issue.

Related Legal Questions