How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55604
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A car ran a RED light and hit (totaled) my sons car. There

Customer Question

A car ran a RED light and hit (totaled) my sons car. There is a video cam of it, and a police report confirming it. The person was found 'guilty' and fined by the court system for running the light and court costs. My question is this . . . The other persons insurance company does not want to pay for my sons car. I 'assume' we'll have to take them to court (a Civil Suit?). Do we need a lawyer for this . . . if so, how do we find one? We live in MN.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Chuck. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, if the other driver (and that person's insurance company) will not settle the claim voluntarily, you will need to file suit. Simply filing the suit will likely give the insurance company the impetus to pay the claim. The reason being is that if the insurance company is found to be have failed to reasonably settle, the insurance company becomes liable not only for the actual damages, but an additional 3 times actual damages as punitive damages. So, as soon as you file the suit against the driver, the driver will then in turn go after the driver's insurance company to pay this claim. And, yes, it would be advisable to engage an attorney for this. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. But, this is not a complicated case so you would only need a 1-2 year lawyer rather than a more experienced lawyer with the higher billing rate that comes with that experience.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!