Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Installed furnace and ac for a friend in their house they

Customer Question

installed furnace and ac for a friend in their house they are not happy I would like to remove the equipment give them full refund offered this deal twice . the price I gave them was for equipment and material only labor was free the . the equipment is running they are sill complaining. how can I get my equipment back
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Maybe I am missing something here... Have they paid you for the job?

.

If so, why would you want the equipment back if they refuse to allow you to retrieve it and refund their money?

.

Or do they have the units and refuse to pay for them?

.

What is their problem with the units?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they paid me 3100 dollars in cash for a furnace and air conditioning unit the air conditioner is complete they are not happy with the way it colds it does 74 degrees in the house they would like a bigger unit at my expense the furnace is not finished yet they are saying it's too big.I would rather give them a full refund it would cost them a lot more money than 3100 to replace the the furnace and the air conditioner they would rather beat me up about it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there was a minor mistake and installing the unit which they lost total confidence in the unit which I have apologize for they are using that against me but the unit does work this house has never had air conditioning before which I think they want me to take care of that problem too.

Ok,what state is this in?

.

How many square feet are they heating and cooling and how many tons is the AC unit?

.

How many BTUs is the furnace and is it gas or electric?

.

Do they have any insulation?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 1350 square feet 80000 BTU furnace two and a half ton evaporator coil 2 ton condensing unit.

Ok averaging 700 sq feet per ton, that is plenty big to cool the house. So it must be an insulation problem if the unit is charged correctly..

.

And furnace seems to be adequately sized as well..

.

I used to work with an HVAC friend of mine so I know a little about it..

.

With that said, I don't see this as being a situation where the units are under or oversized so I don't see any legal grounds for them to be demanding you change things out for free.

.

You provided what was agreed on in your contract, I assume, and it is sized correctly, so if they wanted an oversized AC and an undersized furnace, then they could either pay you for doing so or hire someone else to do it.

.

But I don't see any legal grounds for you to be able to force them to allow you to remove the equipment and return their money either.

.

So you are both kind of stuck at an impasse... you don't have to do any further work for free, but you can't get your equipment back either..

.

.

thanks