How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently have a court appointed lawyer. In the beginning

Customer Question

I currently have a court appointed lawyer. In the beginning things sounded hopeful and he was going to do everything for me he could. I meet him Thursday to discuss what was going to happen. He has now advised there isn't anything he can do and I would've been better off comitting a murder. I was shocked. I have done everything he told me to and now he has seemingly given up. I now have court tomorrow, he will not continue it. I need a new lawyer that will fight for me. What can I do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did he explain why he believes the case is difficult or unwinnable? Do you have trial tomorrow or just a hearing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No he didn't. Months ago he said little or no jail time if I did what he said, which I have and then some. Now it's the complete opposite with no explanation. It's just a hearing. My lawyer has had it continued several times so I could do what was asked if me. If I go in there with him tomorrow they are not going to continue it.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

If you are willing to hire another attorney (such as a private attorney) to represent you, then you should ask this attorney to remove himself from the case and ask the judge for a continuance so that you can seek new counsel.

If that is not an option, then you should go to the hearing and plead with the judge to continue it because you want a new public attorney assigned to you due to ineffective assistance of counsel. The judge may or may not go for this argument. It's pretty much 50/50.

Or you can just move forward with the hearing and your current attorney.

These are your only three options at this point, unfortunately.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your assistance. I wish I knew he was going to do this sooner so I could have had more time to be prepared.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

No worries. I agree. This is the worst time that this could have happened for you.

Please don't forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience. I would greatly appreciate it.