How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stacy Adkins Your Own Question
Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 158
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Stacy Adkins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's been over a year and local federal officer has not done

Customer Question

It's been over a year and local federal officer has not done anything about my stolen ATV. I found it myself. I brought an officer with me to retrieve from the persons yard. I called Aberdeen area office because they oversee our jurisdiction. The original officer got a call.from person in Aberdeen followed up with it by contacting me and asking questions. Officer then goes to accused party and informs them that she got a call from Aberdeen area office because i called them and also that I was pressing charges on them for having my ATV in their yard. They (accused) are threatening charges on me. Is this illegal for officer to disclose info to accused party and also what my next step?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy. It's not illegal for the police to disclose why they were there at the property. There's no privacy right in police reports. It's all public information, so the fact that they told the thieves of the investigation or why they were at the property isn't a violation. However, I don't think you have nothing to worry about from the thieves. What possible charges are they threatening upon you? Based on this fact situation, they would have no legal basis for requesting charges to be filed against you. They stole your property, you used police to assist you in recovering that property. Are there additional facts that I'm missing here?

Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 11 months ago.

You could also consider filing a civil suit for the theft if you incurred any damages being without your ATV for over one year. This page explains the different between criminal and civil theft.

I hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if you've been satisfied with my information. It's the only way I can get credited for assisting you. You can still ask followup questions after providing a rating. Thank you!

Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 11 months ago.

Did you need any further information or clarification? If not, please take a moment to rate my answer. I am an independent contractor and this is the only way I get paid for assisting you. Just Answer does not compensate us without a rating. Thank you so much!