How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42847
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am contemplating a lawsuit against a service provider for

Customer Question

I am contemplating a lawsuit against a service provider for personal damages to me. I am also contemplating a lawsuit against the same provider for the same circumstances for my deceased father in the name of his estate.
1. Should the two suits be combined?
2. If so, how would they be combined...what is the process to do so?
3. Any other considerations I need to know about?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

These would be separate suits here.The first would be you individually against the provider.The second would be by executor/administrator of the estate against the provider.Proceeds from this suit go into an estate account and pass to the legal heirs under will or if no will the laws of intestacy here.

For both suits you will need to calculate the damages and prove them up by testimony or other evidence to support.You can sue here in small claims yourself up to the limits of $7k.The filing fee for claims of $2001 to $5000 is $100. The filing fee for claims of $5001 to $7000 is $150

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

More self help

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Good luck with the suits.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you need to sue for more you would need to draft a complaint for higher court.

This is likely breach of contract suit wherever you file it if the provider failed to deliver what you paid for.