How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16713
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Minor Accident in Parking Lot I hit a parked car and gave it

Customer Question

Minor Accident in Parking Lot
I hit a parked car and gave it a little ding -- I asked management to contact the owner so I could offer to take care of it (at the most buff+ paint). I offered to pay cash as my insurance had lapsed at the time of coverage (I regained coverage that same week). My insurance lapsed while I was switching insurance companies... unlucky me that this happened during that time.
I gave him a check made out to the auto body shop where he got the quote but he refused and wants the check made out to himself. However I have zero assurances that he will use this money for the repair or go get it done somewhere cheaper and keep the rest for himself.
If he files a claim with his insurance and says I was an uninsured motorist what are the repercussions I can face? I drive in the state of California my license registration plates etc are all current and up to date. I have insurance coverage now.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, if the accident reported while the motorist who hit the parked vehicle was uninsured, such report can subject the motorist to heavy fines, license suspension and also the motorist would have to pay for the claimed damage, so generally, it is a good idea to make a payment for damages to the owner of the damaged vehicle and to have the owner sign a full release from liability form.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.