How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55294
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

General contractor made contract for 15,000. To remold

Customer Question

General contractor made contract for 15,000. To remold kitchen and upgrade 2 bathrooms.After demo of all Three rooms and receiving 12500. She quit leaving leaking and torn up no kitchen. Bath. And a gas line broken.
She stop delivery on kitchen cabinets Saying they re in her name . She told us she can't be micro manage an we could get another contractor. Now she said she she undercharged
And wants another 12000 plus . What can be done...?..
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

You absolutely have the right to terminate and receive damages. Your contractor is in breach of contract! What you want to do is raise the stakes on her. First, get an estimate from another contractor of the cost to properly finish the job, including remediating any and all problems that have resulted from her incompetent work to date. Then, send her a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history, terminating the contract due to her default, and demand that she pay you an amount of money so that when the other contractor completes the job, you have paid in total no more than you would have paid her had she timely and competently completed the job. Inform her that if she does not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit against her for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file this suit you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud, gross negligence, and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, she will settle this to your satisfaction without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Legal Questions