Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Need help find a contingency attorney for suing wedding

Customer Question
photographer breach of contract. The photographer...
Need help find a contingency attorney for suing wedding photographer breach of contract.
The photographer failed to perform multiple promised tasks... using photos as leverage for good reviews... blinding more brides! and ruining more couples memories... Need help to put a stop in this kind of wedding photographer... Wedding is in California...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to waste any precious time of yours... what I am looking for is a referral to one or more specific attorneys will help me on contingency basis... I don't have 10's thousands of dollars to invest in the suit, but I am more than willing to share half... I am just so helpless being the bride have the memories ripped away by a photographer with a dark heart... I don't want anyone else have to go through this...
9/7/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The terms and conditions of this site unfortunately don't allow us to make specific referrals, but I wanted to give you some information. Lawyers who take cases in contingency work in personal injury/tort cases, where they can take a percentage of a large pain and suffering settlement, or in civil rights suits or cases that come with punitive damage awards. This is so the client can still get reimbursement for their expenses, but the lawyer gets paid. Contract cases are typically billed hourly, or sometimes in a lump sum. I'm afraid I've never met a lawyer who takes breach of contract cases on contingency. A good place to find an attorney in your area who handles this type of case is www.martindale.com.

With that said, you do not need a lawyer to help you sue for breach of contract. If the wedding is in California, that's where the suit has to be brought unless the photographer lives in Nevada and was planning to travel for the ceremony. California law allows a person to sue for up to $10,000 in Small Claims Court, and they have all the forms and instructions online. All you have to do is fill out the form, file it (which can be done by mail usually), then go to the hearing. California doesn't allow lawyers in Small Claims Court, so if the total you paid was less than $10,000, there's no reason to even look for someone.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm

If you paid more than $10,000, you can use these forms to open a lawsuit in the Superior Court.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/forms.htm?filter=CO

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney