How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask D Downs-Vollbracht Your Own Question
D Downs-Vollbracht
D Downs-Vollbracht, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19
Experience:  Partner - Downs-Vollbracht & Brown. PLLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
D Downs-Vollbracht is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Story short, my exboyfriend had my car impounded and lied to

Customer Question

Long story short, my exboyfriend had my car impounded and lied to me for a month that it was being fixed. I asked several times to get it back, but he refused, saying that it was getting fixed and there was nothing he could do. I was planning on going on my friend's annual camping trip, and three days before I left he left to go pick up my car. Two days later I found that my car was impounded and that it would cost me six hundred dollars to get it out. I kicked him out and changed the locks. I told him that we where done, and that as soon as I came back from the trip he was to come and get his things. When I came back, I found that he didn't pay the rent that he supposedly did, and that he had run off with it. Also, he refused to come get his things, and refused to give me back his copy of my apartment key and my mail key. For a month I have been putting up with this asshole, asking for my mail key, and asking for him to get his things, and he still refuses. I don't know what else to do right now. I have no car, as I can't afford to get my car, or my things from my car. And now I can't access my mail. The cops said that because I found my car that I couldn't press charges against my ex for stealing it. I don't want to get in trouble for having his property in my apartment, or for me throwing it all out as he refuses to claim it. And how do I get my mail key back? Can I press charges against him for that, as I have my new debit card, credit card, and bills from the past month now in there and I cannot access it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  D Downs-Vollbracht replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry!
Expert:  D Downs-Vollbracht replied 1 year ago.
You are obviously on the right track with getting him out of your life. Good for you. you need to notify your landlord in writing that he no longer resides there or has a right to enter the apartment. Second, you should notify the responsible agency regarding your mail that he took your key and again has no right to have the key. You can report the key stolen and request a new one but make sure to do everything in writing.
Expert:  D Downs-Vollbracht replied 1 year ago.
The property in your apartment that belongs to him - take photographs of everything. If you have a contact address, email or phone for him (preferably in writing) then you can give him notice to remove the items and demand he have a civil standby present when he does come. That is a police officer or constable that is present and gives him a certain amount of time to pack up and take his things. In the alternative you can pack up his things and have them all by the door to shorten the time you deal with him. If he doesn't come back within 30 days, you may sell, donate or dispose of his property though I would recommend making efforts to get him or one of his friends or family to come get the items first.
Expert:  D Downs-Vollbracht replied 1 year ago.
You can contact the police and make a formal complaint regarding the stolen mail, credit cards and other identity related items. There is no guarantee they will pursue charges, but having the record of the complaint will protect you should he run up additional bills in your name and it will help down the road if he continues this behavior as it will enable them to build a case against him.
Expert:  D Downs-Vollbracht replied 1 year ago.
Regarding the car, try to work with the impound yard to get them to stop accruing storage and impound fees. Then show them a copy of the identity theft complaint you file and see if they will work out a deal with your regarding their fees. Again, I'm so sorry you are dealing with this but once he is truly out of your life, you will be so much better off and independent. Hang in there.