How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a situation that I am not sure how to handle, I

Customer Question

Hi i have a situation that I am not sure how to handle , I booked my 50 th birthday party in May this year for the 29 th October at a hall , they answered by saying yes that night is free , so I then began to organise my entertainment which needed a deposit and the catering and also needed a deposit , to find after paying in May and signing in August the agreement , I received a email from the hall committee to say sorry we have double booked you with a wedding group and she said they paid before me , when I rang Ingrid the lady she apologised by saying that the wedding party first said 22 nd October , and after realising they made a mistake it was meant for the 29th I then was refused the booking, I have asked around at the Paul's and they are all booked out with weddings so I am now stuck with deposits for my entertainment which I have been informed that I cannot change the date, this call is called Durrumbal hall , and while I was on the phone last night very upset I heard her husband next to her whisper tell her to find someone else, to mad , she can't have it , do I have any legal back up ?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you may be able to sue the hall for breach of contract and/or promissory estoppel/detrimental reliance to recoup your losses. The concept of promissory estoppel may apply when the following elements are proven:

  • A promise was made
  • Relying on the promise was reasonable or foreseeable
  • There was actual and reasonable reliance on the promise
  • The reliance was detrimental (i.e. some sort of harm was suffered)
  • Injustice can only be prevented by enforcing the promise

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I said a letter of my own,regarding I am threading to sue the hall , in the hope that they may reconsider ? Or should I go for a legal letter
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Go for a legal letter. It may cost about $200.00 but it will be worth it.

You want to look for a consumer law attorney in your area.

See these