How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41574
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering if a judge would overrule his first ruling

Customer Question

I was wondering if a judge would overrule his first ruling in an estate case? In the case my sister stated that she wanted nothing except the information concerning a CD that we both thought was left to her. I gave her in the information before we left the courtroom. She drug me into court twice. The judge did not directly overrule his first ruling. But stated the he would like to see us work things out, in so many words, more or less. I definitely did not seem to me that he had overrules his first ruling though.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This is an estate settlement case.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that's about it. Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Your remedy here is to return to court and have the court resolve this by a ruling and an order if you cannot agree.If the CD was lacking a named beneficiary it would become an estate asset and divide by the probate judge.If a beneficiary was named here it should pass outside of court.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

I don't think the judge has actually ruled here.I appreciate the chance to help you .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There was a CD, but it was put into my name before my mother passed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When my sister dragged me into court, the first time , she stated that she wanted nothing except for the CD information that we both thought was left to her. Instead, the CD that my mom had was left to me several years before her death.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
At that time, I did not know the CD was put into my name.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But, in this case my sister relinquished her right to anything else from my mothers estate. That's what she told the judge. I have the court record on hand.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ray, are you there? This is my first time using this service and I'm not sure if I've done everything correctly. Your response would be sincerely ***** ***** I'm lost and don't have my full question answered. I'm not sure if you completely understand my case either.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, I have severe health issues and I live in Arkansas. The case would be in Michigan, not Arkansas. I have whats known as a
"Super Bug" or the equivalent of a severed bacterial infection that's left me with an open hole in my leg that you could put three fingers in. I've been treated for this since March, 2015. My sister was told of the health situation, she doesn't care and continues to harass me. I've told her that I will see to it that she gets the things she asked for as soon as my health returns. She continues to threaten to sue me. She's an alcoholic an swears and it's extremely difficult for me to speak to her. Also, my husband had a stroke and he's 80 years old. I'm his sole care taker. I would have to drag him with me and have to have someone else drive me to Michigan for another court return, visit. My health and his would make another trip to court almost impossible at this time. Do I have any recourse without returning back to court in Michigan? Does she have a legal leg to stand on since she told the judge directly that she wanted nothing from the court except for the CD information which has already been given to her? Please reply. Thank you!