Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can Verizon take a grandfathered cell phone plan away? I've

Customer Question
had the plan for 5...
Can Verizon take a grandfathered cell phone plan away? I've had the plan for 5 years with no changes and on time payments every time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
9/6/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

There is nothing that requires a private company to "grandfather" a membership or contract so the answer is "yes".

Many companies do allow you to keep your old plan even after it expires to that they keep you as a customer but it isn't required by the law. The "grandfather" laws really only apply to the government. This is due to the ex post facto rules of the Constitution. However, these don't apply to private companies.

The only other way that the company would be required to allow you to keep your old plan is if there is something in the contract that states they must do so.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

I am going to be offline for a couple of hours but will return later this evening, so if you have any follow ups I will pick up on them then.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney