How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33398
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had the same question as mentioned in the post, NJ, No, no

Customer Question

Hi I had the same question as mentioned in the post
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no can't think of any
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

Can you explain the facts and what question you have? There are posts that are placed on the website every minute or so and there's not enough information here to know what you're looking for.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My fiancée has been divorced for 3 years now. She was "vegas" married and filed for divorce a week later. We're planning on getting married this month in nj. Her father doesn't know. The certificate will be signed by the imam i.e religious person in front of both parents.Is there any way she can leave out her divorce in her application, and amend it after the ceremony with the city?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What would you think would be the best approach (besides honesty lol)
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Actually, the best thing would have been to get the marriage annulled at the time.

Does the marriage certificate in NJ require information about the divorce or just the application for the marriage license?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure, I wanted to see if you might know...
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Normally you wouldn't put that on the marriage license, that is only put on the application for marriage license which is filed with the clerk of courts. The presiding official, your Imam based on what you have put above, doesn't see anything that has to do with the divorce. They only see and sign off on the marriage license and/or the marriage certificate.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

What I'd recommend is to go and apply for the license and then see what they give you. I'm not aware of any marriage licenses/certificates that have any info about the divorce, regardless of the religion.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Related Legal Questions