How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a home a year ago and now notice that the tire and

Customer Question

I bought a home a year ago and now notice that the tire and engine noise from highway 459 is so excessive that it disturbs my sleep and I can't sit on my back deck in peace. What is my best recourse in getting the state highway dept to address this issue.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, that is not the liability of the state as this is something that should have been checked by the buyer before buying the house. At this point, the only way to rectify the situation is to send a written request to the state highway department to ask them to install sound barriers on the highway and legally it is solely at their discretion and based on their budget to do so. If you can get all of your neighboring homeowners to sign a petition asking the highway department to do so, then that is helpful. If the highway department refuses, then you would have to go through your state senator or congressman to ask them to assist in getting the highway department to put in sound barriers on the highway to help reduce the noise.