How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDavid Your Own Question
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 372
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawyerDavid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son makes 15,000. a year (for the last 3 years). His

Customer Question

My son makes 15,000. a year (for the last 3 years). His girlfriend took him to court for child support and because neither of them brought papers or information about their incomes, the judge recorded his income as $30,000 a year as well as hers. She now has no job, but has lived with a man for 4 years and he bought a house this past year. My son has to pay $700. a month in child support...needless to say he cannot afford it so I pay it on my small retirement. It is so difficult.
If we went back to court to try to reduce the payment, would we benefit or be wasting our time or have to pay even more. We all live in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you today with your request. I suggest your son go back to court and get the child support adjusted as soon as possible. This would not be a waste of time and there is no reason for you to be using retirement to pay his child support. In fact, I would insist he proceed with this immediately and cease paying his child support at this time. I do not want to be too harsh, but your son and this child's mother need to take responsibility for their actions and take care of their child. In short, you absolutely will not be wasting time going to court to get this adjusted and it seems this needs to occur now since you are having to pay it with money you need to live on. I hope this helps. All the best, David

Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 11 months ago.

I am also going to offer you a phone call to discuss in detail the situation if you have more questions and/or concerns and you believe it would help. Thanks, David