How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3988
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 19 and an active duty Marine. I just married a 17 year

Customer Question

Hello. I am 19 and an active duty Marine. I just married a 17 year old male who is a civilian. I want to know if my assets are protected if we divorce. Will he get some of my paycheck or other things? How does this work? Please let me know
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 11 months ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is a big and complicated question. But to summarize -

California is what is called a "Community Property State." Under the laws of California your husband is entitled to half of what the two of you acquire during the course of the marriage. This means that any assets that you acquire while you are married he is entitled to half of them.

Assets that you had prior to entering marriage are yours. He is not entitled to them.

The best way to protect yourself is by entering a pre-nuptial agreement. But that can;t be done now - it must be done prior to marriage.

You can enter into a "post-nuptial" agreement but to do so you must both have seperate lawyers and the agreement must be negotiated and prepared by an attorney.

He is not entitled to half your paycheck hile married. Whether he or you are entitled to "alimony" would depend on the length of the marriage and your individual finacial situations at the time.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.