How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé passed away just over a year ago,we lived

Customer Question

My fiancé passed away just over a year ago,we lived together, and his business employed me...I lost over 1/2 my income...I have been paying my credit cards and now, I am running up a debt I know I am in trouble...I make the minimum payments and more...but use the cards again for utilities...I substitute teach and cannot replace the income/help I that I don't have the income I had, I don't think I can get a loan I can afford-to consolidate...
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

I am very sorry to learn of the death of your fiance, please accept my condolences.

I hope that you are not paying your fiance's debts, and that his creditor's are not pursuing you - you are not liable for any of his obligations.

However, if your debts exceed your income, and you are currently in financial distress, it may be worth considering bankruptcy protection. Bankruptcy provides a "fresh start for the honest debtor" and allows you to erase your current debt through a bankruptcy discharge. I do recommend working with a local bankruptcy attorney, however, it is possible to file for bankruptcy without an attorney if necessary (see:

If at all possible, try to file for a Chapter 7 "liquidation chapter" rather than a Chapter 13 "repayment chapter" - as a Chapter 7 matter is resolved in about 4 months while a Chapter 13 requires you to continue repaying for 5 years. (The only time a Chapter 13 is reasonable to consider is if you are trying to maintain home ownership, or if you are forced into it by the bankruptcy "means test" - but based on what you posted, I don't think this is going to be an issue)