How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33739
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a contractor doing masonry work at my House and

Customer Question

I had a contractor doing masonry work at my
House and unfortunately he passed away and left me halfway on the job and its gonna cost me a whole lot more to finish the job what do I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my options I had a guy doing this job for 17000 dollars and I only owed him 2300 and I have gotten quotes for 8000 dollars he passed away and what can I do
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Your only real option is to pursue a lawsuit against his estate.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you happen to know if he was "insured and/or bonded"?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Also, was the work being done by an individual, a company, or a corporation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was an individual doing the,job i don't know i didn't have a contract I was paying,him cash
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have googled his name and came up as he did have a business but I dont know if it was up to date
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You're going to have to assume that he didn't have a corporation and then file a case against him and his estate. You're better off hiring a lawyer to help you, at least with this first part. The lawyer will file the lawsuit against the estate or, if an estate hasn't been opened yet, will open an estate so he can file a lawsuit against it.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

At some point the lawyer will do discovery and find out whether he had insurance or a bond and then proceed accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of lawyer would I be looking to hire
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Probate Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need. That website will allow you to look by list and you may be able to find a lawyer that does both of those.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.