How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it lawful for my employer to dock my pay for another

Customer Question

Is it lawful for my employer to dock my pay for another employee's error. She double ordered some expensive shades. I'm an office manger she's in sales. He only docked her and my pay. I make a 1% commission on all sales. He docked her pay for the cost of 4 of 5 double ordered shades and me for 1 of 5. I have nothing to do with sales. I was more than the 1% in commission I would have received from the sale. He did not dock anyone else's pay just hers and mine. Now he tells me anytime a sales rep makes a sales mistake he will take their commission from their pay to cover the shade cost and, whatever that doesn't pay for comes out of my check not just the 1% commission I would have earned but, the entire rest of the cost, which is usually the bigger bulk of the cost. Can he legally do this?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what state this is in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My apologies I was under the impression that when i selected a state on your form it would show on your end.Washington.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Can you tell me if there's a written notice from the employer, and has your employer asked that you agree in writing to such a deduction?