Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Is it lawful for my employer to dock my pay for another

Customer Question

Is it lawful for my employer to dock my pay for another employee's error. She double ordered some expensive shades. I'm an office manger she's in sales. He only docked her and my pay. I make a 1% commission on all sales. He docked her pay for the cost of 4 of 5 double ordered shades and me for 1 of 5. I have nothing to do with sales. I was more than the 1% in commission I would have received from the sale. He did not dock anyone else's pay just hers and mine. Now he tells me anytime a sales rep makes a sales mistake he will take their commission from their pay to cover the shade cost and, whatever that doesn't pay for comes out of my check not just the 1% commission I would have earned but, the entire rest of the cost, which is usually the bigger bulk of the cost. Can he legally do this?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what state this is in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My apologies I was under the impression that when i selected a state on your form it would show on your end.Washington.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Can you tell me if there's a written notice from the employer, and has your employer asked that you agree in writing to such a deduction?